Granita is a dessert that carries with it an air of class and worldliness, when really it’s just pureed fruit, frozen. Short of instant pudding, it’s probably the easiest dessert you’ll ever make.
This one is flavoured with mint and cucumber, two of the freshest summer flavours. I’ve really gotten into the herby-sweet taste of things lately, and I think if you’re a fan of cucumbers, you’ll like this also.
For real, here’s what you do:
- 1 large cucumber (it’s summer, buy local if you can!)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup mint leaves, depending on your love of mint
- Skin cucumber and chop it into inch-sized cubes
- Throw cucumber cubes, sugar, and mint into a blender and pulverise until smooth.
- Pour into a metal bowl or pan and freeze for 1 hour.
- After the hour, scrape and mash the cucumber ice until it’s all mushy again.
- Freeze again for 1 – 2 hours, and scrape and mash it again before serving.
Spoon granita into a tall glass halfway and add 1 oz. vodka, gin, or light rum. Fill the rest of the space with club soda, and drink on a patio. Instant cucumbery cocktail.